The apple strudel is a classic dessert of the South Tirol tradition based on a thin pastry shell and a filling of soft apples, raisins, pine nuts, flavoured with cinnamon. Strudel is also prepared according to the various local customs of northern Italy, with different fillings that also provide savoury versions, based for example on meat or vegetables.
For the dough:
- 300g flour
- 120ml water
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
For the filling:
- 1kg apples
- 50g sugar
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 60g raisins
- 60g pine nuts
- 1 yolk
- 1 lemon
- Cinnamon powder
- Powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- In a bowl, mix the flour with water, egg, oil, salt and white vinegar. You can do this by kneading by hand or with the planetary, whipping the whisk until it is mixed.
- In both cases you will need to obtain a very smooth and non-sticky dough. Form a ball with the pulled dough, brush it with a little sunflower oil and let it rest at room temperature for 30 minutes in a bowl, covering with a table cloth.
- Prepare the filling: peel the apples, cut into slices, sprinkle with the sugar, cinnamon and add the raisins first softened in warm water and then squeezed.
- Add the breadcrumbs that you will have toasted in a non-stick pan with a knob of butter. Complete with the grated lemon peel and pine nuts. Stir to mix.
- Roll out the dough at 1 centimeter without using other flour and place it on a table cloth.
- With the tips of your fingers, make the layer thinner, pulling it outwards and taking care not to break it. You will have to obtain a very thin sheet. Place the filling in the middle.
- Cover the filling with the exceeding two flaps of dough, making a slight pressure to seal. Close the two ends upwards to prevent the stuffing from coming out. Line a baking sheet with a sheet of baking paper and, very gently, lay the strudel, giving it a regular shape with your hands.
- Brush the apple strudel with the yolk beaten together with the milk and cook in a hot oven at 180 degrees for about 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, let it cool and sprinkle with icing sugar.