Braised Lamb Shoulder in Tomato Sauce with Anchovies, Gorgonzola Crumb, Datterino Tomatoes & Basil.
- 1 lamb shoulder
- 1 jar crushed tomatoes
- 200g Datterino tomatoes
- Basil 20g
- 1 jar anchovies in chilli oil
- Half packet gorgonzola
- 1 packet focaccia
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Garlic 2 cloves - crushed
- 1 Italian red onion – finely chopped
- 3pc carrot (washed, peeled and chopped)
- Score the lamb fat with a crisscross pattern and using the oil from the anchovies rub it in and leave to marinate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Heat a heavy-based pan, season the lamb with salt and pepper and brown the meat until it's coloured on all sides.
- Rub the anchovies into the lamb fat and set aside.
- Using the same pan add the onion and garlic and sautee without any colour.
- Add the crushed tomato and then fill up the jar with the same amount of water and add to the pan.
- Add the lamb to the pot and cook in the oven for 2 hours, basting the meat with the juice from time to time.
- After 90 minutes add the carrots.
- After 110 minutes add the washed basil leaves, whole washed Datterino tomatoes and place back into the oven.
- Remove the focaccia from the packet, place it in the same oven on a baking tray and cook until crispy.
- Using a food processor, blitz the focaccia and gorgonzola to form a crumb.
- Top the lamb with the crumb, turn the oven up to 180°C and cook for 3-4 minutes (keep an eye so that it doesn’t burn).
- To serve, place a centrepiece on the table.